Trenton, Michigan is located approximately 25 miles south of Detroit on the Detroit River. The Downriver community of Trenton was founded in 1834, under the name Truaxton. In 1850, a new plat was recorded under the name of Trenton. It was again incorporated February 10, 1855. In 1929, a portion of Monguagon Township, called Sibley, was annexed to give Trenton it's present size. In 1957, Trenton became a city. Trenton sits to the west of Grosse Ile, to which it is connected by two bridges.
In 1986 a group of Trenton residents
realized there was a need to preserve Trenton's history. In
1987, the Trenton Historical Society was incorporated as a 501(c)3
tax exempt organization dedicated to the acquisition and
preservation of Trenton artifacts and history.
In partnership with the society is the Trenton Historical Commission, a city advisory commission which collects, develops and compiles historical data and information concerning the origin and development of the Trenton area, as well as over-seeing maintenance and tours of the Trenton Historical Museum. You can read more about them and the Trenton museum here.