Claud O. Owen Elementary School Exhibit
Owen Elementary School Main Entrance  

In March of 2007, a legacy in Trenton Public Schools came to an end. Claud O. Owen Elementary School was demolished due to school restructuring and budgetary constraints. Read the article about the school closing courtesy of the News Herald Newspaper.

 

289 students attended Claud O. Owen Elementary School in the 2003-2004 school year. There were 18 teachers on staff.
- MuniNet Guide

A special thank you to Rob Imes for his extensive photography work on this project.

Interactive Exhibits of Owen Elementary

A last glimpse, Owen Elementary
A photographic tour of Owen Elementary before demolition in June of 2006.
(Will open in a new window)
Owen Tour Image
Demolition, Owen Elementary
Photos of the demolition of Owen Elementary on 27 Feb 1997.
(Will open in a new window)
Owen School Demolition
History of Owen Elementary and Claud O. Owen
Claude O. Owen
Claud O. Owen


Claud O. Owen Elementary School was located at 2271 Grange Road, and was opened in 1958 with additions in 1960 and 1963. Grades K-5 were included, and enrollment in 1975 was listed as having 409 students.

The school was named in memory of Claud O. Owen who came to Trenton around 1910 to manage a branch of the Dorrance and son Pharmacy, a Wyandotte firm.

He was active in the Trenton Methodist Church and served on the church board for some time.

Mr. Owen was a pharmacist in the area for many years and was most helpful to young people starting out in his profession both financially and for employment.

He served on the Trenton School Board from 1921 to 1933 and was President of the Board in 1933.

- Trenton History "Brown Book"